SUCCESS = HARD WORK. PERIOD.

E-readers have changed the publishing industry. They've also changed the way readers read. They've also changed one author's life. No, not mine. (Although my Piedmont Island Trilogy series does take place in Minnesota where this author lives!) I'm talking about Amanda Hocking.

I first heard about Amanda at J. A. Konrath's blog. (BTW, if you're a writer and haven't visited his blog, A Newbie's Guide to Publishing, you're missing out.) Konrath is an advocate for self publishing. He lives, breathes, dreams it.

Amanda Hocking's book sales took off last fall and her Trylle Trilogy has been optioned for a movie. Incredible success since the launch of her first book less than a year ago.

But back to the beginning of her writing career. She tried going the traditional route. Her stories were rejected by just about everyone. Working a menial job she hated, and ready to give up her dream of being a published author, she decided to self publish. Her books have gone viral. Hers is a success story every author dreams will happen to them.

Watch a recent television interview with her.

Still, Amanda pulls no punches. She vows her success is not a fluke. She got where she is today by working hard and putting in long hours. "So much of what people are saying about me is, "Look what Amanda Hocking accomplished in a year," when they really should be saying is, "Look what Amanda Hocking accomplished in twenty years." Because that's how long I've been writing, that's how long I've been working towards this goal."

In a recent post, a bit of a reality check, she said, "There is a common misconception that I published the first novel I ever wrote, and that is not true. The first book I ever published was My Blood Approves, and that was the eighth novel I'd written." She also said, "If you do not have the time to devote to working at your writer the same way you would a full time job, then the sad truth is that self-publishing probably isn't the right fit for you."

Everyone loves success stories. Especially rags-to-riches and overnight success ones. I tend to think that's just fiction! Sucess no matter how you slice it is hard work. Period. Do you agree?