Author Cee Hunter's Family Secrets

My guest today is Cee Hunter.

Cee brings her love for her home state, Louisiana, to her writing in Family Secrets. Living in the state from kindergarten through college has given her an appreciation for the people, culture, food (the recipe for perfect fried chicken is included in Family Secrets), and the natural beauty. Work and family have taken Cee to other parts of the country, but her fondest memories are of tromping through the piney woods of central Louisiana. You can email her at Ceeslife@gmail.com.  She’d love to hear from you.

Welcome, Cee. It’s wonderful to feature you today. If everyone is comfortable, let’s get down to business and talk writing!

Anne - Tell us about your book. (Title and story blurb.)

Cee - In Family Secrets the sweet piney woods of central Louisiana set the stage for ten year old Bonnie Francis Martin’s struggle between protecting her family’s privacy and preserving her sanity and even her life. The family bonds that provided security have trapped her in a web of secrecy. The rules for a southern girl’s behavior are not written down in any book, but they are etched on Bonnie’s mind and are as much a part of her as her sparkling green eyes.   One person is dead and Bonnie may be the only one who knows the killer’s identity. Whether she speaks up or remains silent, it will take all the courage she can muster to survive. 

Anne - Is there a message in Family Secrets you want readers to grasp?

Cee - Yes, I hope readers will come away with an increased knowledge of the danger of keeping secrets within families.  I hope parents will talk to their children about appropriate sexual boundaries and keep the lines of communication open for them to report inappropriate behavior wherever it occurs – strangers, acquaintances or family members. 

Anne - What is the hardest part of writing for you?

Cee - The hardest part of writing for me is not over editing before I get a sentence on paper. A lot of what I write is total garbage, but often there’s a gem within the garbage which I can only get to by capturing everything and then digging through it later.     

Anne - Outside of writing, what accomplishment are you most proud?

Cee - My greatest accomplishment has been raising my two children. Both are adopted and I am a single mother. The process has been messy and heartbreaking and has not turned out at all like I had hoped. I’ve learned that following God’s leading does not necessarily mean a happy ending. We often think that if God is in a situation we will be successful, but that’s not always the case. This is a message I want to share with others so they’ll know they’re not alone. These are the stories that don’t often get told, and I want to be part of changing that.

Anne - Quick. Your five favorites – author, actor, movie, song, quote.

Cee - Author: Jane Austen. Actor: Bruce Willis. Movie: Terminator. Song: Fairytale by Sara Bareilles. Quote: “…we accept the love we think we deserve” The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.

Anne – Thanks so much for dropping by, Cee. It's been a pleasure getting to know you, and getting a glimpse inside Family Secrets. I also love your enthusiasm for Louisiana...a state I've never been to, but now want to plan a road trip! Again, I wish you every success, Cee.

Happy writing!

* * *

Are you an author? Have a book to promote?
I’d love to feature you on my blog.

Email me: annekalbert AT gmail DOT com
Mention “PIT Blog Interview” in the subject line.

* * *