Breathless by Kathryn J. Bain

My guest today is Kathryn J. Bain. She has been writing for more than ten years, has two daughters, one a professional photographer, and the other a student the University of West Florida. Kathryn’s President of the Florida Sisters in Crime, Public Relations Director for Ancient City Romance Authors, and she enjoys critiquing for the new members of American Christian Fiction Writers. To survive and pay bills, she has been a paralegal for approximately twenty years and works for an attorney who specializes in guardianships, probate, and estate planning. She moved from Idaho to Jacksonville, Florida in 1983 and has lived in the sunshine since. AND, her latest release, Breathless, will be released on Friday!


Welcome to Piedmont Island, Kathryn, and congratulations on Breathless. It’s a little chilly in northern Minnesota today, so let’s sit by the fire. And please, help yourself to a hot beverage of your choice…ah, the wonders of cyberspace. Gotta love it. Okay, is everyone comfy? Perfect. Let’s talk writing!

Anne - Do you have a fear, phobia, or habit you’d rather no one knew about?

Kathryn - I am terrified of heights. I live in Jacksonville, Florida where there are bridges all around. I try to avoid them as much as possible or go over the ones least likely to give me a heart attack. If I have to go over them, I play my music real loud and sing on the top of my lungs to try to distract myself. It’s funny, but when I’m in the car alone, I sound like Carrie Underwood. But when someone joins me, I turn into Elmer Fudd.

Anne – LOL! What do you enjoy most about writing? What part do you loathe?

Kathryn - I love coming up with new stories and throwing my characters into predicaments to see how they’ll get out. Sometimes they surprise me with their ingenuity. I hate the proofing part. By the time I’ve read my story over the 5th time. I’m done. I can’t take anymore. It drives me crazy, but it’s something you have to do.

Anne – Yes, it is. J Of all the characters you’ve created, does one hold a special place in your heart, and why?

Kathryn - I would say of all my character’s Teddy Federline in Beautiful Imperfection, the manuscript I just completed, is my favorite so far. She’s dealing with the aftermath of breast cancer. She taught me so much. By the time I got done with my research, I realized just how heroic these women really are.

Anne – She sounds like an inspiration, just like the survivors themselves. Tell us about the defining moment when you felt as if you’d finally made it as an author.

Kathryn - My defining moment came in an e-mail. It was when I got the contract for Breathless. It had taken eight years, but I finally felt validated. Before the contract, I was a writer. I wrote and wrote and wrote. After, I became an author. It’s AWESOME!

Anne – Funny how that little piece of paper makes all the difference, isn’t it?! Any words of advice for struggling, unpublished writers? 

Kathryn - Never stop learning. There are so many changes going on in this field that you need to keep reading and taking courses. But be careful who you learn from. Make sure it’s someone who can actually teach you what you need to know. There are a lot of self-promoters out there who aren’t even published in the genre they teach. A lot of books on how to get published in fiction are written by people who’ve only written self-help books. If they knew how to get published in fiction, they’d have done it. What they’re doing is helping themselves to your wallet.

Anne – Congratulations on the upcoming release (tomorrow, actually!) of Breathless. What is it about? 

Kathryn – Lydia Frederickson is afraid to answer her telephone. Widowed and alone, she only wants to get through another anniversary of her husband’s death without falling to pieces, but a stalker isn’t making that goal easy. The disturbing calls are becoming increasingly personal and threatening, and everyone who knows her is suspect. The only person she knows isn’t making the calls is her new ponytailed, tattooed—and breathtakingly handsome— minister, Matthew Winters.

Former-narcotics-agent-turned-minister Matthew Winters knows he’s not what the town expected in their new pastor, but he’s up for the challenge. What he doesn’t expect is the sudden attraction he feels for parishioner Lydia Frederickson. When he discovers she’s the victim of a stalker, he feels God’s intervention has led him—both a cop and a preacher—to her. Matthew knows he’s falling for the beautiful widow, but a secret from his past may undermine their future.

Anne – It sounds like a great read, and I wish you every success with Breathless. Where can readers reach you online?

Kathryn – At my website. I’d like to thank you for inviting me to Piedmont Island!

Anne – It’s my pleasure! You’re welcome anytime…maybe when Beautiful Imperfection is release?!

As always, your comments are welcome and appreciated. By the way, if you want to ensure you don’t miss a single Piedmont Island Trilogy post, please become a follower. It's as easy as a click, and it would certainly make my day. (Thank you in advance.)

Until next time, happy reading! 

* * *