For the Love of Rachel by Sally Campbell Repass

My guest today is Sally Campbell Repass. Sally live in the hills of southwest Virginia and loves to write, sing, read, do family genealogy, Facebook, and spend time with her family. Welcome to Piedmont Island, Sally. Let’s talk writing!

Anne - When did you first realize you were destined to be a writer?

Sally - I knew from a young age that I had a good imagination and always dreamed of being a writer but it wasn't until I wrote the Children's Fairytale Book in 2010 that I realized that I had to try my hand at writing. I give God all the credit for any talent He has given me. I am still in awe that I started writing books at age 65.

Anne – Tell us about your book. 

Sally - FOR THE LOVE OF RACHEL is my first book in the PARKER/STERLING Family Series. I was sitting in the den one night watching TV with my husband. My mind was wandering and this thought came to me... "She sat staring out the window" so I got a pen and paper and wrote it down. The next morning I started my book. I used that as the first sentence in my book.

Anne - What do you enjoy most about writing? What part do you loathe?

Sally - What I enjoy most about writing is creating all these characters who become so real to me. I feel like they are my family and I can envision what each one looks like. I feel so close to them and feel their sadness when tragedy strikes.

It is also very relaxing for me when I write. I forget everything else and concentrate on my character family.

There is NO part that I loathe!

Anne - Of all the characters you’ve created, does one hold a special place in your heart? Why?

Sally - I would have to say that RACHEL is my favorite character. The story started with her and she became like my family. I shared her sorrow and her joy. I guess she was almost perfect. But there were times when she let her family know she wasn't perfect. She will always be special to me because she was the beginning.

Anne - What is the most surprising thing you’ve learned about yourself from writing?

Sally - I’ve learned that I can ACTUALLY do it! I was also surprised at how I got so involved in creating the characters and how they became so real to me.

Anne - How many rejections have you received? Was one more memorable than others? Why?

Sally - I have never submitted a manuscript to a publishing company. I self-publish. I was told by an author friend of mine that she tried and they wouldn't gave her the time of day. She said if you weren't well known they wouldn't bother with you. How do you get well-known if NO ONE gives you a chance?
I have set up at various bazaars and only sold a few books. That is discouraging, but the worst time was when I set up and stayed all day and never sold any at all!

Anne - Outside of writing, what accomplishment are you most proud?

Sally - I would have to say my biggest accomplishment is having my 5 wonderful children and raising them in church. They are all wonderful, well-educated children with great jobs. They make me very proud!

Anne - Have you experienced writer's block? If so, how did you work through it? 

Sally - I've heard of authors getting it, but so far I haven't had it. When I sit down at my computer and start writing...the words just flow...almost faster than I can type. When I'm not at my computer writing, my mind is always turning with ideas.

Anne – Thanks so much for dropping by, Sally. I wish you every success with For the Love of Rachel.

Readers, as always, your comments are welcome and appreciated. Becoming a follower will ensure you never miss an interview, announcement or blog post. Plus, you’ll have my eternal gratitude. J

Happy reading!

* * *