Carol Preflatish, Author of Saved by the Sheriff, Talks Writing


My guest today is Carol Preflatish. Carol knew at an early age that she loved to write. In high school and college, her favorite classes were composition and creative writing. It wasn't until after she married and became a parent that she decided to pursue it seriously. She's published two romantic suspense novels and is constantly thinking up ideas for future books. Carol lives in southern Indiana, sharing her log cabin in the woods with her husband and their cat and dog.

Anne – Welcome to Piedmont Island, Carol. It’s a gorgeous spring day here and a perfect opportunity to sit on the deck, soak up a few rays, and talk writing. Tell us about your latest release.

Carol - My most recent book is Saved by the Sheriff, a romantic suspense about New York City writer, Jaime Wilson who wants the Assistant Editor job at Real Mystery Magazine. In order to get it, she has to write a superb story, and what could be better than a 30-year old unsolved murder in a small town.
   
When Jaime visits Royal, Indiana to investigate, she soon finds that someone in the town doesn't want the mystery solved and she becomes a target. After an arrest for trespassing and an attempt on her life, Sheriff Ben Hunter lets her stay at his place where he can keep an eye on her while she continues to work on her story.

She didn't count on falling in love with the sheriff and he didn't think he would have to work so hard to keep her safe. Finally, when she finishes her story, she has to make her choice whether to stay with Ben or go back to New York.

Anne – Would you share with us that defining moment when you felt as if you’d finally made it as an author?

Carol - I supposed that was when I was offered my first publishing contract, but prior to that I won second place in a writing contest with the manuscript that eventually published. I actually cried when I received notification about my second place victory. That was my first big accomplishment toward becoming a published author. 

Anne – Writing contests are invaluable for any beginning writer, IMHO. Do you have any words of advice for struggling, unpublished writers?

Carol - One thing I wish I had know when I was an aspiring author was that I needed not only to learn the craft of writing, but also the business side of it, too. Once your book is published, it's not the end of it, but the beginning. There's so much about marketing and promotion that I didn't know about with my first book. 

Anne – So true. Promoting a book often takes longer than the actual writing! Outside of being an author, Carol, what accomplishment are you most proud?

Carol - Obviously, I'm most proud of my daughter who has grown up into a beautiful woman. But, I'm also an avid photographer and have had photos published in a few local and regional newspapers, but I'm most proud of the fact that several years ago I had some of my photos published in a national magazine. It was so cool.

Anne – Congratulations! Now, quick. Your five favorites – author, actor, movie, song, quote.

Carol - Author: James Patterson; Actor: Nathan Fillion; Movie: Beverly Hills Cop I; Song: Sweet Home Alabama; Quote: "Some days there's never enough coffee."

Anne – LOL about the coffee. I can’t even think about beginning the day until after my second cup! Where can readers find you online?

Carol – At my websiteblogFacebook and TwitterThank you for hosting me today, Anne. I've really enjoyed talking with you.

Anne – It was my pleasure, Carol. I wish you every success with Saved by the Sheriff.

A final note to readers: your comments are always welcome and appreciated. Also, to ensure you receive future Piedmont Island Trilogy posts, interview, updates or giveaways, why not become a follower on either GFC (Google Friend Connection) or NetworkedBlogs? It’s as easy as a click of the mouse. Thank you, and as always, happy reading!

* * *